Skip to content

Who Took Part

Men from across the former British Empire fought at Gallipoli: from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland, from Newfoundland and Nepal, from undivided India, from Australia and New Zealand.

The stories of those men and women highlighted below provide an insight into the lives and experiences of some of those who were not to return home.

Major Algernon George Newcome Wood, DSO, lost his life in October 1915 when he was shot by an Ottoman sniper while smoking his pipe outside of his dugout. In a tribute to Wood, a fellow officer said: 'he became a friend of mine, just as he became a friend of all he met'.

Lieutenant Charles Alfred Lister joined His Majesty's Diplomatic Service and was based at the British consulate in Constantinople when war broke out. He requested leave to join the army and served on the peninsula from the landings of 25 April until late August when he was wounded by shell fire.

Private Charles Frederick Ball was an eminent horticulturalist who had a long career at Royal Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin before the war. The dangers of the front did not deter Ball from his love of botany and he sent numerous seedlings from Gallipoli back home. A comrade invalided home remembered seeing Ball lying behind a big boulder digging up 'weeds' with Ottoman bullets spitting all around him.

Flight Commander Charles Herbert Collet was stationed on the island of Imbros. On 19 August, his engine failed during take-off. He turned to land but his machine was caught in an up-draft causing it to crash whereupon it burst into flames. He was dead when comrades pulled him clear.

Captain Edward Frederick Robert Bage was an Australian astronomer and explorer who, in September 1911, took part in Douglas Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition. War broke out soon after his return to Australia and he volunteered at once for service.  He took part in the landing at Gallipoli and was killed by Ottoman fire as he marked out a trench line in the Lone Pine sector.

Captain Gordon Clunes MacKay Mathison was wounded by a stray bullet on 10 May 1915 during the 2nd Battle of Krithia, while resting outside of the aid station where he had been operating.

Private Harold Gordon Craig worked as a clerk in Victoria, Australia. He was wounded just two days after landing at Gallipoli and was evacuated to Cairo for treatment. He recovered and re-joined his unit on the peninsula but was severely wounded by an exploding bomb on 7 August 1915.

Sister Janet Lois Griffiths had been in Egypt barely three months when the ambulance wagon in which she and other nurses were travelling home from the hospital came to a stop on a level crossing. Seeing a train coming, Griffiths jumped from the back of the wagon and ran forward to assist her colleagues in escaping the vehicle. The train struck the wagon and Griffiths was killed while attempting to save others.

Lieutenant Thomas Marshall Percy (Hami) Grace played representative rugby for Wellington, the North Island and New Zealand Maori with whom he toured New Zealand in 1911 and Australia in 1914. Upon the outbreak of war in 1914, Grace joined the Wellington Regiment. He was killed during the assault on Chunuk Bair in August 1915.

Private Zaccheus Holme was the son of a shoemaker from Manchester, England, who signed up to serve along with friends from his lacrosse team. Holme lost his life in June 1915 during the battle to capture the village of Krithia.