The churchyard at Cambrin was first used to bury soldiers by the
French army - the graves of French soldiers are marked here today
by crosses. Within range of German artillery, the church suffered
severe damage from shell fire.
One of the Commonwealth servicemen commemorated in Cambrin
Churchyard Extension is Private Elgar
Elgar was born in 1889 in Burnley, Lancashire. He was the eldest
son of the family and he lived with his parents at 23 Richard
Street, Burnley. He was educated at the Sunday school of Westgate
Congregational Church and regularly attended thereafter.
He worked in the local cotton industry as a twister at Messrs.
Thornber's Elm Street shed. Upon the outbreak of the First World
War, Elgar was a widower with one daughter. He was well
known and respected in his local community.
He enlisted into the British Army in late August 1914.
In September 1915 his battalion, the 10th Highland Light
Infantry, were involved in some of the heaviest fighting of the
Battle of Loos. During the attack on a German position known as
'Madagascar Trench' Elgar was killed.
He was buried at Cambrin Churchyard Extension along with some 20
men of the 10th Highland Light Infantry who died that day. Some 250
of their comrades also killed on 25 September have no known grave,
their names inscribed on the Loos Memorial to the Missing.