- Identified Casualties:
At El Giza, on the left bank of the Nile, opposite Old Cairo, is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Memorial to the dead of the Egyptian Labour Corps and the Camel Transport Corps whose graves are not known.
It takes the form of an Ophthalmic Laboratory for training and research, erected beside the Ophthalmic Hospital.
For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
The Egyptian Labour Corps came into existence in 1915. It was recruited chiefly in the Nile Delta and grew in numbers from 3,000 in January 1916 to 100,000 in November 1918, sending many thousands of men to France, Italy, Gallipoli, Salonika and Iraq. Its duties were varied, ranging from stevedores' work to stretcher-bearing and the drainage of marshes, but its greatest achievement was the triple line of railway, road and water-pipe which enabled the Egyptian Expeditionary Force to cross the desert and invade and liberate Palestine. The Corps suffered over 10,000 casualties.
The original Camel Transport Corps was a small second-line transport unit formed in January 1915 to assist in the defence of the Suez Canal, but in the following December a permanent Corps was established. It began with ten Companies of 1,188 officers and men and 2,020 camels each and in 1918, its personnel exceeded 23,000. The Corps was recruited in Upper Egypt and was used for first-line transport and in special columns.
Lord Allenby's Despatches of 18 September and 31 October 1918 bear witness to the distinction with which the personnel of these two Corps served, often under great hardships and sometimes under fire, and the important support they gave the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.
The memorial bears no names, but two bronze panels depict the work of the two Corps.