Skip to content

Cemetery Details

NORTH WEALD BASSETT (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
NORTH WEALD BASSETT (ST. ANDREW) CHURCHYARD Print this image


Country:
United Kingdom
Locality:
Essex
Identified Casualties:
45
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
0.16332
Latitude:
51.72522

Location Information

St. Andrews, North Weald Bassett can be found close to the entrance to North Weald Aerodrome, just off the A414 in Essex about three miles north-east of Epping.

Historical Information

The church and surrounding churchyard adjoin North Weald Aerodrome, a Royal Air Force Operational Station from 1918 to 1979 but particularly active during the 1939-1945 War.

The churchyard was used for war time burials by this station and also by the R.A.F. Station at Stapleford Tawney, some six miles away. In January 1945, a "V" rocket fell on a hangar at Stapleford Tawney, killing ten men belonging to the R.A.F. and the R.A.F. Regiment, nine of whom are buried in the churchyard, the other having been buried in his home town in Scotland.

Some ground in the north-western corner, facing the entrance and beyond the church, was set aside early in 1940 for service war graves, and this is now the War Graves Plot. All save one of the graves are in the plot.

The Cross of Sacrifice was unveiled by the R.A.F. Station Commander, North Weald and District, and dedicated by the Assistant Chaplain-in-Chief R.A.F., on Sunday, 24th October, 1954.

There are now a small number of 1914-1918 and nearly 50, 1939-1945 war casualties commemorated in this site.