Skip to content

Cemetery Details

LIMERICK (KING'S ISLAND) MILITARY CEMETERY

Print page
LIMERICK (KING'S ISLAND) MILITARY CEMETERY Print this image


Country:
Ireland, Republic of
Locality:
County Limerick
Identified Casualties:
39
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
-8.62568
Latitude:
52.67278

Visiting Information

Visitors to Limerick (King's Island) Military Cemetery are advised that the gates are padlocked. Please contact us for further details.

Historical Information

The cemetery, on the North side of the City, comprises an area of just under an acre, being divided into plots for Officers, Other Ranks and children. There are 39 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war here, 16 of which are those of men of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. King’s Island Military Cemetery, previously known as The Royal Military Cemetery, was consecrated on the 11th of August 1856, according to the rites of the Church of Ireland. Its original use was for the burial of soldiers from among the regiments of the British Army. The Military Cemetery comprises of 0.6 Hectares of land, including a lodge, gardens and main entrance to the west and a now defunct pedestrian entrance to the east.
There are 39 Commonwealth War Grave Commission burial plots in the cemetery dating from 1914 and after. 16 of the burials are drawn from among the ranks of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 5 from the Scottish Horse, 4 from the Royal Army Medical Corps, 3 from the (Royal) Army Service Corps, 3 from the Oxford and Busks Light Infantry, 2 from the Royal Field Artillery and a single burial each from the Tank Corps, the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, the Australian Engineers, the Highland Light Infantry, the Labour Corps and the Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment.