Skip to content

Cemetery Details

TRURO CEMETERY, NOVA SCOTIA

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
1
TRURO CEMETERY, NOVA SCOTIA Print this image


Country:
Canada
Locality:
Nova Scotia
Identified Casualties:
18

Location Information

Leave Highway 102 at Exit 14 to downtown Truro and proceed for approximately 1 kilometre.

Visiting Information

The cemetery is owned by the Truro Cemetery Corporation which is a registered charity and is operated by an elected Board of Directors.

The cemetery is open 7 days a week from dawn to dusk. There is an office on site, open from the end of April to the end of November, from 08:00am to 17:00pm.

To contact the cemetery:

Telephone: (902) 893-3304

Mailing address:

Truro Cemetery Corporation
PO Box 494
Truro, NS
B2N 5C7

Historical Information

The cemetery was founded in the 1760's by settlers from New England after the American War of Independence. It is the site of the first Presbyterian Church in Canada. Notable burials include a Father of Confederation, a federal Cabinet Minister/Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia and a Premier of Nova Scotia.

During the 1939-1945 War, a number of Army camps were set up in the Truro area, including the large military training camp at Debert.

Truro Cemetery, which adjoins that of the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception, is a Protestant cemetery belonging to the Truro Cemetery Corporation. At the time of the 1914-1918 War, the cemetery was known as "Truro (Robie Street) Protestant Cemetery".