Skip to content

Cemetery Details

DEDEAGATCH BRITISH CEMETERY

Print page
DEDEAGATCH BRITISH CEMETERY Print this image


Country:
Greece
Identified Casualties:
66
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
25.8712
Latitude:
40.85102

Location Information

The cemetery is in the town of Alexandroupolis (formerly Dedeagatch) and is on the north eastern shore of the Aegean sea, close to the border with Turkey.

The cemetery is approximately 325 km north east of Thessaloniki on the E90 motorway to Turkey. From the motorway take the second exit to Alexandroupolis and proceed on Irodotou Street for approximately 1 km until you reach a roundabout. Take the second exit onto Kaviri Street and proceed for 200 metres where the cemetery is located on the left, adjacent to a childrens playground.

Visiting Information

The cemetery gates are locked at all times. and a key is available from the Municipality. To gain access please contact the contractor on mobile number +30 6974 105 373. There is also a sign at the main gate with this information.

For further information and enquiries please contact enquiries@cwgc.org

Historical Information

Dedeagatch (now Alexandroupolis) belonged to Turkey until 1913, and to Bulgaria from 1913 to 1919. It was bombarded by an Allied squadron in October 1915 and was occupied by Commonwealth forces in October 1918. No 31 Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the town until the end of the year.

The cemetery was used from October to December 1918 and after the Armistice, 18 graves were brought in from other cemeteries, 13 of them from Kavalla Anglo-French Cemetery. Kavalla was a port of call for hospital ships in November 1918.

The cemetery now contains 64 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also two Second World War burials and 16 burials of other nationalities, mostly Serbian civilians.