Skip to content

Cemetery Details

PAGET (ST. PAUL) CHURCHYARD

Print page
PAGET (ST. PAUL) CHURCHYARD Print this image


Country:
Bermuda
Identified Casualties:
3
GPS
CO-Ordinates:
Longitude:
-64.77711
Latitude:
32.28312

Location Information

The churchyard is located near the junction of South Road and Middle Road in the Paget district of Bermuda.

Historical Information

During the First World War, Bermuda was garrisoned successively by the 2nd Lincolns, the Royal Canadian Regiment, the 38th Bn. Canadian Infantry, the 163rd Bn. Canadian Infantry and the 2/4th East Yorkshire Regiment. The 3rd Bn. Jamaica War Contingent was there between March and May 1916. The Bermuda Volunteer Rifle Corps, Bermuda Militia and Garrison Artillery were pre-war auxiliary units raised on the island.

Bermuda also had significant dockyards and naval establishments and during the Second World War, the United States established naval and air bases on land leased by the British Government. The Royal Air Force base on Darrell's Island was used for the ferrying of aircraft from the United States to Africa across the 'South Atlantic Bridge'.

Paget (St Paul) Churchyard contains one Commonwealth burial of the First World War and two from the Second World War.