Skip to content

Cemetery Details

GLASGOW (EASTWOOD) OLD AND NEW CEMETERY

Print page
Casualty Record Detail
Casualty Record Detail
12
GLASGOW (EASTWOOD) OLD AND NEW CEMETERY Print this image


Country:
United Kingdom
Locality:
Glasgow
Identified Casualties:
155

Location Information

Glasgow (Eastwood) Old and New Cemetery is a large cemetery in the south part of Glasgow the cemetery is actually divided in two separate parts an old section and a new section they are both on Thornliebank Road on opposite sides of the road separated by a distance of 500meters.

By road : Take the motorway M77 exiting at junction 3 onto A727 Nitshill Road in the direction of East Kilbride. At the first major roundabout take the first exit onto B769 Spiersbridge Road,direction north, leading onto Main Street and Thorliebank Avenue.The new section entrance is on the right hand side before Thornliebank Railway Station and the old section is 500 meters further on Thornliebank Road on the opposite side of the road to the new section.

By public transport :The easiest way to the cemetery is to use the Glasgow rail system from Glasgow Central Station travelling towards East Kilbride. Exit at Thornliebank Station, the new section is directly outside the station and the old section a short five minute walk in the opposite direction.

Historical Information

During the two world wars, the United Kingdom became an island fortress used for training troops and launching land, sea and air operations around the globe. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards.

Glasgow was one of the ports of embarkation for the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and several military hospitals opened in the city during the First World War, including the 3rd and 4th Scottish General (1,200 beds each), and the Merryflats War Hospital (500 beds). Battalions of a number of Scottish regiments had their headquarters at Glasgow during both wars, most notably the Highland Light Infantry. The Clydeside shipyards were targeted by German bombers during the Blitz, and Glasgow suffered a particularly ferocious attack on the night of 13/14 March 1941 when many civilians and servicemen were killed.

Glasgow (Eastwood) Old and New Cemetery contains 47 scattered burials of the First World War and 100 from the Second World War. In addition there is a small garden of remembrance where servicemen from both wars buried in Glasgow's Sighthill and Southern Necropolis Cemeteries are commemorated. The memorial consists of headstones removed from the actual graves, which could no longer be properly maintained when the cemeteries closed in March 1954.

There are now 153 servicemen and women of the First World War and 121 from the Second World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery.