- Identified Casualties:
Phoenix Cemetery is a large civil cemetery near the town of Vacaos, which is about midway between the airport and the capital city of Port Louis.
The cemetery is in Closel Road, also known locally as Cemetery Road. 22 of the 25 Commonwealth war graves are situated in the military section which is on the right hand side, about 50 metres along from the first turning to the right off the central pathway. To find the remaining three scattered graves the cemetery staff should be consulted.
The cemetery is open every day 06:00-18:00.
In September 1942 Mauritius became part of the East African Command, and with other islands provided naval bases and refuelling stations to safeguard Allied lines of communication in the Indian Ocean.
In addition to eight First World War Commonwealth burials, PHOENIX CEMETERY contains 17 burials from the Second World War and 74 unrecorded non-world war burials. The cemetery is wholely maintained by the Commission.
Facing the entrance to the cemetery, just inside the main gate, stands the PHOENIX MEMORIAL which commemorates ten casualties of the First World War and 47 of the Second whose graves elsewhere in Mauritius and Diego Garcia could not be maintained.