The memorial at Neuve Chapelle, designed by Sir Herbert Baker, was unveiled in 1927, built by the then Imperial War Graves Commission
It bears the following inscription:
TO THE HONOUR OF THE ARMY OF INDIA WHICH FOUGHT IN FRANCE AND BELGIUM, 1914-1918, AND IN PERPETUAL REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED AND WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE
4703 names are inscribed here. Many of the men lost their lives during the Battle of Neuve Chapelle in March, 1915.
The memorial was designed to honour India, its culture and traditions. The column recalls the pillars of Asokar, and on the top is a Lotus capital, the Star of India and the Imperial Crown. On either side, two carved tigers guard the memorial. Within the walls are two chattris.
A commemorative book was published at the time, with a foreword written by King George V
Click here for more details about the Neuve Chapelle Memorial