The Battle of the Somme - The 12 Battles of the Somme (1 July - 18 November, 1916) - CWGC

Leuze Wood (known to the troops as 'Lousy Wood') occupied an important position as it provided protection to the approaches of Combles, Guillemont and Ginchy. The narrow north-eastern adjunct to the wood was known separately as Bouleaux Wood. The southern end of Leuze Wood commanded the low ground between Hardecourt and Guillemont. Not as badly damaged as Delville or High Wood (at least in early September) its undergrowth was well furnished with German barbed wire and defensive posts. Clear evidence of the wood's importance was shown during Sir Douglas Haig's visit to Fourth Army's HQ on the afternoon of 4 September when he made clear that the capture of the wood and nearby high ground was of the utmost urgency.

BACK TO MAIN TEXT

 
 
Home  |  About CWGC  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Ts & Cs  |  Credits  |  Accessibility