Heavily fortified village, located to the south-east of Ginchy, with good observation of British positions. It was the scene of desperate fighting during Fourth Army's sustained assault on the German line in the southern (right flank) corner of the battlefield, where General Rawlinson sought to broaden the front and offer support to the French 6th Army.
The village itself was in complete ruins by September 1916, though many German dug-outs (well-constructed in concrete, with interconnecting tunnel systems) remained intact. The entrances to surviving examples face north indicating that the expected line of attack would have been from the south; in fact many later assaults were made from the west (exiting from Trones Wood) and south-west.
The intensity of the fighting at Guillemont moved Liddell Hart to melancholy comparisons: "But Pozières was matched on the other flank by Guillemont,...then a shambles of blended horror and mystery." (History of the First World War, Cassell & Co, London, p.327)
< Return to Guillemont and Ginchy page