The Commonwealth War Graves Commission is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This statement explains how we use the information we collect about you and the procedures we have in place to safeguard your privacy.
1. We welcome enquiries from the public about our casualty database or of a more general nature about the work we do or the services we provide. When you contact us we need to know your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number and, if appropriate, details of your relationship to a war casualty so that we can communicate with you. Occasionally it may be appropriate for us to pass your enquiry, with your details, to another organisation in order that they may assist you. If we do this we will notify you
2. The information you give is private and secure. We do not sell, give or loan information about members of the public who contact us. In accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information given to us. This is to prevent unauthorised disclosure to a third party.
3. By disclosing your personal information to us you consent to the collection, storage and processing of your personal information for the purposes set out in this statement.
4. We are a Commonwealth organisation operating in a number of countries worldwide. In order to deal with an enquiry from a member of the public sometimes it may be necessary for us to transfer and process personal data to countries outside the United Kingdom which do not have in place similar protection as provided by the Data Protection Act 1998. However, we have taken the steps outlined above to improve the security of your information. By submitting your information you consent to these transfers, where appropriate.
5. If we change our privacy statement we will post the changes on this website so that you may be aware of the information we collect and how we use it.
6. This statement does not cover the links within this site.