The Ypres Salient - CWGC

motor machine-gun unit, the Bluff, Ypres, March 1915During the period 1-3 May British troops, often under intense bombardment and in some instances on the receiving end of sharp German local attacks (which were repelled with great discipline) were gradually withdrawn to their newly allocated defensive positions. Effectively these new trench lines represented an irregular half-circle drawn approximately three miles to the east of Ypres, running from the eastern edge of Sanctuary Wood, north to the Frezenberg Ridge and then north-west to Boesinghe. This line established by Plumer remained, despite further and repeated German attacks in 1915, roughly the same until the great British offensives began in late July 1917.

BACK TO MAIN TEXT

 
 
Home  |  About CWGC  |  Site Map  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Ts & Cs  |  Credits  |  Accessibility