JANVAL CEMETERY, DIEPPE
|Total identified casualties||235 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Dieppe is a seaport at the mouth of the River Arques. Janval is one of the suburbs of Dieppe and the 'Cimetiere de Janval' is one of the town cemeteries. It is situated to the south-west of the port area. From the town square, the Place du Martyrs, head south on the Avenue Gambetta (direction Rouen), then take the 3rd exit on your right into the Avenue Boucher-de-Perthes. The cemetery entrance is at the end of this road on the Rue Montigny. A CWGC sign is at the entrance of the cemetery.
Dieppe was used by Commonwealth forces as a minor base from December 1914 onwards, particularly for supplies of small arms ammunition, forage and flour. From January 1915 to May 1919, "A" Section of No.5 Stationary Hospital was stationed in the town. During this period, 219 Commonwealth burials were made in Janval Cemetery, a large civil burial ground. Most of the graves form two plots in Section T, but there are also three burials among the French and Belgian military graves in Section U. Section F of the cemetery also contains a small plot of 29 Second World War burials, mostly dating from the early months of occupation, before the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force in May 1940.