CASERTA WAR CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||754 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
Take the autostrada A1 (Roma to Napoli), and leave it at the Santa Maria Cupua Vetere exit. At the roundabout follow the signs for Caserta. After 7 kilometres; after the tunnel, take the first exit "Zona Ospedaliera" on the right. After 100 metres, at the roundabout turn right to reach the parking area of the communal cemetery. At the end of the car park you will find the entrance gate to Caserta War Cemetery. Cemetery address: Via Generale Luigi Talamonti, 5 - 81100 Caserta (CE) Campania.
The cemetery may be visted at any time. Please note that the cemetery is kept locked outside of the gardeners working hours with a combination padlock, the combination for which is 1221. The working hours are as follows: WINTER: 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 3:30pm SUMMER: 7:30am to12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm Wheelchair access to site possible, but may be by alternative entrance. For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Allied objectives were to draw German troops from the Russian front and more particularly from France, where an offensive was planned for the following year. The Royal Palace at Caserta served as headquarters for the Allied armies in Italy for the greater part of the duration of the Italian campaign and the 2nd General Hospital was at Caserta from December 1943 until September 1945. Some of those buried here died in the hospital, others as prisoners of war (there was a POW Hospital at Caserta) before the Allied invasion. There are also a few burials from the October 1943 fighting on the River Volturno, which lies not far away to the north. Caserta War Cemetery contains 768 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. The cemetery was designed by Louis de Soissons.