GRADARA WAR CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||1188 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
Gradara War Cemetery is situated in the Commune of Gradara in the Province of Pesaro. It is located about 1.5 kilometres south of the SS16, midway between Pesaro and Riccione. Take the exit Cattolica from the autostrada A14. At the roundabout take the first exit following the sign to Gradara. Proceed on via Malpasso seconda and at the follwing roundabout take the second exit following the sign to Pesaro and proceed on the SS16. After the village of Case Badioli and before the village of Colombarone turn right and then follow the CWGC signs. Cemetery address: Via Pesaro s.n - 61012 Gradara (PU) Marche. GPS Co-ordinates: Latitude: 43.941062, Longitude: 12.782378.
The cemetery is permanently open and may be visited anytime. Please note that wheelchair access to this site is not possible, as the cemetery is steeply terraced with numerous steps. For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
On 3 September 1943 the Allies invaded the Italian mainland, the invasion coinciding with an armistice made with the Italians who then re-entered the war on the Allied side. Following the fall of Rome to the Allies in June 1944, the German retreat became ordered and successive stands were made on a series of defensive positions known as the Trasimene, Arezzo, Arno and Gothic Lines. The site for the cemetery was chosen in November 1944 and it contains the graves of casualties incurred during the advance from Ancona to Rimini, which broke the German's heavily defended Gothic Line, and in the heavy fighting around Rimini, which was taken by the Allies on 21 September 1944. Gradara War Cemetery contains 1,191 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. There is also one Belgian war grave.