SOUTHAMPTON OLD CREMATORIUM
|Total identified casualties||78 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
The Southampton Crematorium Memorial is located in South Stoneham Cemetery, as this is where the Southampton Crematorium was located from 1932 to 1973 (in 1973 a new Crematorium was built by the council in Bassett Green Road).
It is only since the turn of the century that the ancient custom of cremation instead of burial has been followed to any extent in the United Kingdom, but the practice is now increasingly observed. During the 1939-1945 War this last rite was accorded to members of His Majesty's Forces at this crematorium, which adjoined Southampton (South Stoneham) Cemetery and the airfield. All are commemorated by name on a memorial standing amid flower beds near the lily pool in the Garden of Remembrance. This is in the form of a central pier crowned by an urn from which spring three wing walls bearing the panels upon which the names are carved. The inscription, which is carved on the central pier, reads:- 1939-1945 THESE MEMBERS OF HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES DIED IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY AND WERE CREMATED HERE.