FIENVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||125 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Fienvillers is a village in the Department of the Somme, on the Doullens-Abbeville main road, 11 kilometres south-west of Doullens. There is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission signpost on the Doullens-Abbeville main road. The British Cemetery is at the south-east side of the road to Pernois, near the south-west corner of the village.
TWO SPECIAL HEADSTONES IN FIENVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY Visitors with an attentive eye will probably have noticed the two different headstones in Fienvillers British Cemetery. At first sight, you might think the wrong material was used for those two headstones. A historical research revealed however the truth. Originally, all headstones were erected in Stancliffe sandstone. It was only until the 1950s all, except for two, were replaced by headstones in Portland. At that time, it was believed that the soft Stancliffe sandstone was economically not the best stone and Portland would be better to maintain. However the two survived headstones in sandstone disprove this theory. Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The cemetery was made by the 38th and 34th Casualty Clearing Stations which were posted at Fienvillers in the summer of 1918. It was begun in May 1918 and used until the following September, and one grave was brought in after the Armistice from an isolated position near Bernaville. Fienvillers British Cemetery now contains 124 First World War burials. The cemetery was designed by A J S Hutton.