KILCHOMAN MILITARY CEMETERY, ISLE OF ISLAY
|Total identified casualties||31 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Kilchoman Military Cemetery overlooks the Atlantic Ocean, on the west coast of the Island of Islay, which is approximately 12 miles west of Bowmore, the main town on the Island. Islay can be reached by car ferry from Scottish mainland or by plane from Glasgow. If travelling from Bowmore take the road to Port Askaig (the A846), then at Bridgend turn left onto the A847. After about four miles turn right onto the B8018, which is signposted for Kilchoman. Continue along this road for 2 miles then continue to follow directions to Kilchoman. The cemetery is signposted near the end of this single track road. Parking is possible near the Old Kilchoman Parish Church. The cemetery is then a ten minute walk over a field.
Please note, the cemetery is in the middle of a grassed field, which can contain sheep or occasionally cows with calves.
This cemetery was made for the burial of the dead from H.M.S. "Otranto," sunk on the 6th October, 1918, after a collision. In the South part were buried the recovered bodies of the American soldiers on board, but all have been removed; in the North part are buried 73 sailors and Marines (including 43 unidentified) and one merchant sailor, of whom 71 belonged to "Otranto." (The three other graves were brought in from the shore of Machir Bay and from PORT CHARLOTTE NEW CEMETERY, where some of the American dead from the S.S. "Tuscania" were buried.)