GLASGOW EASTERN NECROPOLIS
|Total identified casualties||108 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Glasgow Eastern Necropolis is a large cemetery in the Parkhead area. It is directly behind Parkhead Football Stadium and beside The Forge Indoor Shopping Centre. By Road : Take the M8 exiting at junction 14. Head south onto Viewpark Avenue which leads onto Cumbernauld Road and Millerson Street. Turn left onto A8 Gallogate and at circle take second exit still on Gallogate ,the cemetery runs parallel to this street on the right hand side. The main entrance to the Cemetery is opposite main entrance to The Forge Shopping Centre. By public transport :From Glasgow City Centre take Bus 61 or 62 from Union Street which passes the cemetery entrance at Forge Shopping Centre. The bus stop is directly outside the cemetery entrance.
During the two world wars, the United Kingdom became an island fortress used for training troops and launching land, sea and air operations around the globe. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards. Glasgow was one of the ports of embarkation for the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and several military hospitals opened in the city during the First World War, including the 3rd and 4th Scottish General (1,200 beds each), and the Merryflats War Hospital (500 beds). Battalions of a number of Scottish regiments had their headquarters at Glasgow during both wars, most notably the Highland Light Infantry. The Clydeside shipyards were targeted by German bombers during the Blitz, and Glasgow suffered a particularly ferocious attack on the night of 13/14 March 1941 when many civilians and servicemen were killed. Glasgow Eastern Necropolis contains 76 scattered burials of the First World War and 32 from the Second World War.