NAIROBI (QUARRY ROAD) MUSLIM CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||33 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
The cemetery is located in the Kariokor district of Nairobi about 2 kilometres east of the city centre. The cemetery is approximately 250 metres down Quarry Road on the left. The scattered war graves are mostly to the right of the path about 80 metres from the entrance.
Nairobi (Quarry Road) Muslim Cemetery is open every day between 06:00 and 18:00. Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
During the Second World War, Nairobi was the headquarters of the East African Force and the base for the conquest of Jubaland and Italian Somaliland, the liberation of British Somaliland and the sweep north-westwards to open Addis Ababa for the return of the Emperor. It was also a hospital centre; No.87 British General Hospital arrived in June 1943 and was still there in December 1945, while No.150 British General Hospital was there for a period in 1943. Nairobi (Quarry Road) Muslim Cemetery contains 33 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.