BRIGHTON (WOODVALE) BOROUGH CREMATORIUM
|Total identified casualties||53 Find these records|
|Casualties from||Second World War|
Woodvale Crematorium, which is situated within Lewes Road Borough Cemetery near its eastern boundary, was opened by the Borough Council in 1930 and is generally known as Brighton Crematorium. It lies close beside the Downs Crematorium, which was opened by a local cemetery company a few years later, and is approached from Lewes Road, over a mile from the railway station.
The Cremation Memorial is situated behind the chapels in the crematorium. It is the central tablet of a recordia wall, with the names inscribed on three Portland stone panels affixed to the wall within a canopied recess; above the names is the inscription: 1939 -1945 THESE MEMBERS OF HIS MAJESTY'S FORCES DIED IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY AND WERE CREMATED HERE.
During the 1939-1945 War 54 service men and women were cremated here. They include 12 sailors, 19 soldiers and 18 men and women of the Air Force, all belonging to the forces of the United Kingdom; 2 men of the Merchant Navy, 1 man of the Home Guard, 1 soldier belonging to the Canadian Army and 1 soldier of the Army of undivided India.