IWUY COMMUNAL CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||132 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Iwuy is a commune in the department of the Nord, about 20 kilometres north-east of Cambrai on the N30. The Communal Cemetery is sited on the "Rue du 4 Septembre", and the Commonwealth war graves are located on the west side of the French Monument erected in the cemetery, about 100 yards from the cemetery entrance.
Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
Iwuy was occupied by British troops in the middle of October 1918. Iwuy Communal Cemetery was extended by German troops during their occupation; but the Extension was acquired by the commune after the Armistice, and the German military graves (with 21 French) were removed to other cemeteries. The British Plot was made by the 51st (Highland) Division in October 1918 and eleven British graves were brought in from among the German after the Armistice. There are now over 100, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost 10 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials are erected to two Canadian soldiers buried among them. The Cemetery covers an area of 380 square metres.