FERME BUTERNE MILITARY CEMETERY, HOUPLINES
|Total identified casualties||127 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Ferme Buterne Military Cemetery will be found 1 kilometre south-east of the village of Houplines, which is 2 kilometres east of the centre of Armentieres on the D945, and 2 kilometres north of La Chapelle D'Armentieres.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
Houplines was in Allied hands (but near the front line) from 17 October 1914, when it was taken by the 4th Division. It fell into German hands in April 1918 during their great advance, but was recovered in September. The village contained four Commonwealth cemeteries in addition to plots in the communal cemetery, but the graves were regrouped after the war and only two cemeteries remain. Ferme Buterne Military Cemetery was used from January to October 1915, chiefly by the 6th Division. It contains 129 Commonwealth burials, two of which are unidentified.