WELLINGTON CEMETERY, RIEUX-EN-CAMBRESIS
|Total identified casualties||225 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Rieux-en-Canbresis is a village 9 kilometres north-east of Cambrai. Wellington Cemetery is 800 metres north of the village, 50 metres from the traffic lights on the D118, Cauchy-Iwuy-Rieux-en-Canbresis road.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The village was captured in October 1918, in the Pursuit to the Selle, and the cemetery was made by battalions of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment immediately after. It was then increased by the concentration of graves from a wide area, mainly South of Rieux, including:- VENDEGIES-SUR-ECAILLON GERMAN CEMETERY, which was a small cemetery at the crossing of the Chaussee Brunehaut and the Vendegies-Bermerain road. It contained the grave of one soldier from the United Kingdom who fell in October 1918. In addition, the graves of three soldiers from the United Kingdom, who fell in October 1918, were removed from VERCHAIN-MAUGRE COMMUNAL CEMETERY to Wellington Cemetery. There are now over 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 80 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. Another special memorial bears the name of a soldier from the United Kingdom, buried in Vendegies-sur-Ecaillon German Cemetery, whose grave could not be found. The cemetery covers an area of 769 square metres and is enclosed by a low brick wall.