DOUAI BRITISH CEMETERY, CUINCY
|Total identified casualties||241 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Douai is a large town about 24 kilometres north-east of Arras and the cemetery lies on the outskirts near the main road to Lens. From Lens and the A1 autoroute, follow the N421 toward Douai. As you approach the town, turn left at first set of traffic lights next to Campanile hotel and follow the D125 for 45 metres. The cemetery is situated on left hand side of this road.
Douai was occupied by French troops and the Royal Naval Air Service on the 22nd September, 1914, and captured by the Germans on the 1st October; it remained in enemy hands until the 17th October, 1918. The 42nd Casualty Clearing Station was posted in the town from the 28th October, 1918, to the 25th November, 1919. Douai British Cemetery was begun at the end of October, 1918, and closed in November, 1919; but graves were brought into it later from the neighbouring battlefields and from other burial grounds, including:- EMERCHICOURT CHURCHYARD, which contained 20 Commowealth burials (mainly Canadians) of October and November, 1918. PETIT-CUINCY GERMAN CEMETERY, CUINCY, which contained 12 Commonwealth burials. There are over 200, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to a soldier from the United Kingdom, buried in RAIMBEAUCOURT GERMAN CEMETERY, whose grave could not be found. The British Cemetery covers an area of 718 square metres and is enclosed by a low stone rubble wall.