WAILLY ORCHARD CEMETERY
|Region||Pas de Calais|
|Total identified casualties||351 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Wailly is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais about 6 kilometres south-west from Arras. Wailly Orchard Cemetery stands above the village.
Wheelchair access is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
The cemetery was begun in May 1916 by the Liverpool battalions of the 55th (West Lancashire) Division, as a front line cemetery, screened from German observation by a high wall. It was little used in 1917, but in March-August 1918, it was considerably enlarged by the Canadian and other units defending the Third Army front. Wailly Orchard Cemetery contains 366 First World War burials, 15 of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.