GLOUCESTER OLD CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||262 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Gloucester Old Cemetery is on the Tredworth Road. It was opened in 1857, and now covers 35 acres.
During the two world wars, the United Kingdom became an island fortress used for training troops and launching land, sea and air operations around the globe. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards. Gloucester Old Cemetery, which is in two distinct parts, contains burials of both wars. All but a few of the 158 First World War graves are in the original ground, 81 of them in a war graves plot, known as 'NG' Ground. Of the 97 Second World War burials, 60 form a separate war graves plot known as 'B' ground. There are also 10 non World War service burials and 7 Foreign National burials here.