WHALLEY (QUEEN MARY'S HOSPITAL) MILITARY CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||43 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
From Whalley village take the Mitton road, B6346, towards Mitton. Pass under railway bridge and continue on main road over two mini roundabouts, and the cemetery is on the right hand side about 200 metres after the last roundabout. Access is through large iron gates through the private cemetery.
PLEASE NOTE: Access to this cemetery is via Ribble Valley Remembrance Park, a private cemetery which the owner plans to open during normal office hours and at weekends. The office at the cemetery can be contacted on 01695 732908 for further details.
During the First World War, the 2,000 bed Queen Mary's Military Hospital was housed in the County Asylum at Whalley, remaining there until June 1920. The Military Cemetery associated with the hospital is at the eastern end of the Mental Hospital Cemetery and was handed over to the War Department in February 1916. The cemetery has a Cross of Sacrifice and there is also a memorial to all the servicemen, nearly 300 of them, who died in the Hospital. The Military Cemetery contains 33 First World War burials and nine from the Second World War.