BIRMINGHAM (BRANDWOOD END) CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||210 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
This cemetery is at King's Heath, between the Alcester and Redditch roads.
The First World War saw four important hospitals - besides many smaller - posted at Birmingham: the 1st Southern General (3,500 beds) was in the university and other buildings, with a section at Stourbridge; the 2nd/1st Southern General (1,800 beds) in the Dudley Road Infirmary and in billets; the 1st Birmingham War Hospital (1,000 beds) at Rubery Hill Asylum and the 2nd Birmingham War Hospital (900 beds) at Hollymoor Asylum. Military hospitals were at Birmingham again during the Second World War, including No 7 Canadian Hospital at Marston Green. Birmingham and Coventry were among the chief manufacturing areas producing materials for the war effort and were subjected to many devastating air raids during the Blitz of 1940-41. Birmingham (Brandwood End) Cemetery contains 110 scattered burials of the First World War, with screen walls to commemorate 35 servicemen whose graves could not be individually marked. Second World War burials number 98. The cemetery also contains two Polish war graves.