EDINBURGH (NEWINGTON OR ECHO BANK) CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||157 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
During the First World War, Edinburgh was headquarters to the 4th,5th,6th and 9th Battalions of the Royal Scots, with the 7th Battalion at Leith. The 2nd Scottish General Hospital (1,000 beds) occupied Craigleith Poorhouse, the Edinburgh War Hospital (2,600 beds) was in the Asylum buildings at Bangour and the Leith War Hospital (585 beds) in the infirmary at Leith. The port of Leith was used by hospital ships from north Russia and about 4,500 officers and men passed through it. Second World War military hospitals were in Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and Bangour. The city was also Scottish Command Headquarters. Edinburgh (Newington or Echo Bank) Cemetery contains 143 scattered burials of the First World War and 14 from the Second World War. Those of the 1914-1918 war whose graves are not marked by headstones are named on a Screen Wall memorial erected in the main War Plot (Section A1).