RAMPARTS CEMETERY, LILLE GATE
|Total identified casualties||190 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Ramparts Cemetery lies within the town of Ieper itself, 1 Km south of Ieper Market Square. The Rijselstraat connects the Market Square with the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) and on to Armentieres. Prior to passing through the Lille Gate and immediately after the Police station, is the right hand turning onto the Kanonweg. The cemetery is located on a pathway along the Ramparts, 50 metres along the Kanonweg.
Wheelchair access to this site is possible, but maybe by an alternative entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Department on telephone number: 01628 634221
From October 1914 to the summer of 1918, Ypres (now Ieper) formed the centre of a salient held by Commonwealth (and for a while French) forces. From April 1915, the town was bombarded and destroyed more completely than any other town of its size on the western front. The cemetery is by the Lille Gate, on top of the old rampart, over what had been dug-outs. It was begun by French troops in November 1914 and used by Commonwealth units at intervals from February 1915 to April 1918. The cemetery contains 198 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. The French graves have been removed. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.