GIVENCHY-EN-GOHELLE CANADIAN CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ
|Region||Pas de Calais|
|Total identified casualties||126 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
The Canadian Cemetery stands on the western slopes of Vimy Ridge above the village of Souchez. The Cemetery is best reached by car or by foot from the village of Souchez, which is situated on the D937 Arras-Bethune road. Starting from the village square, the cemetery is signposted by CWGC directional signs and is approximately 3 kilometres outside of the village.
Givenchy-en-Gohelle was taken by the 2nd Canadian Division on the 13th April 1917 and remained in British hands during the rest of the War. The Canadian Cemetery was begun by the Canadian Corps, under the name of C.D. 20, in March, 1917, and used until May; two further graves were added in March, 1918. There are now over 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly one-fifth are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 15 Canadian soldiers believed to be buried among them. The cemetery covers an area of 308 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall.