BAPAUME AUSTRALIAN CEMETERY
|Region||Pas de Calais|
|Total identified casualties||106 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
Bapaume is a town 22 kilometres south of Arras and 26 kilometres south-west of Cambrai. The Australian Cemetery is in the Rue du Chemin Blanc. Travelling through Bapaume in the direction of Peronne, the cemetery is signposted before leaving the town. The signpost points towards the prostrate statue of Abel Guidet and the Rue du Chemin Blanc forms the angle with the High Street.
In front of the entrance to this cemetery, the roadside verge is steep. Wheelchair access with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
Bapaume was occupied by German forces on the 26th September, 1914, and by the British on the 17th March, 1917; it was retaken by the Germans on the 24th March, 1918, and by the New Zealand Division on the following 29th August. It has given its name to the battles of the 24-25th March, 1918, and the 31st August to 3rd September, 1918. It was severely damaged by both sides during the War. Bapaume was later "adopted" by the City of Sheffield. Bapaume Australian Cemetery was begun in March, 1917, by the 3rd Australian Casualty Clearing Station and used until the following June, and in April and May, 1918, 23 German graves were added to Row C. There are now over 80, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The cemetery covers an area of 542 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.