GLASGOW (RIDDRIE PARK) CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||356 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
If traveling by car this cemetery is very close to city centre motorway M8. Leave the motorway at junction 12 and travel north in the direction of Stepps. The cemetery entrance is on the left hand side 500 meters after the motorway exit opposite Hogganfield Park and Golf course. If using public transport bus number 36 from Glasgow Buchannan Street Bus Station will stop directly outside the cemetery entrance. The cemetery is about a 15 minute taxi journey from the centre of Glasgow.
Glasgow City Council have closed an area within section A of this cemetery due to subsidence and it is likely to remain closed for the forseeable future. For safety reasons, public access is therefore no longer possible. The Commission are planning to build a memorial, to be erected close to the Cross of Sacrifice, to commemorate the 21 war casualties buried in the closed section.
Glasgow was one of the ports of embarkation for the British Expeditionary Force in 1914 and several military hospitals opened in the city during the First World War, including the 3rd and 4th Scottish General (1,200 beds each), and the Merryflats War Hospital (500 beds). Battalions of a number of Scottish regiments had their headquarters at Glasgow during both wars, most notably the Highland Light Infantry. The Clydeside shipyards were targeted by German bombers during the Blitz, and Glasgow suffered a particularly ferocious attack on the night of 13/14 March 1941 when many civilians and servicemen were killed. Glasgow (Riddrie Park) Cemetery contains100 scattered burials of the First World War and 248 of the Second World War.