CALCUTTA (BHOWANIPORE) CEMETERY, KOLKATA
|Total identified casualties||712 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First & Second World War|
Bhowanipore Cemetery is 1 km from the southern end of the Calcutta Maiden and is enclosed by a high wall. The war plot is at the rear of the civilian cemetery, some 200 metres from the main entrance. The cemetery is at no. 15 Debendra Lal Khan Road, Calcutta 700027.
Opening hours are: 09.00-16.00. Wheelchair access to cemetery possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
This civil cemetery has been in use since 1864, many of the earlier burials of service personnel and their dependants being made from the nearby garrison at Fort William, from which the cemetery initially took its name. During the Second World War, various establishments important to the war effort were posted to Calcutta and No 47 General Hospital was there from January 1943 to the beginning of February 1945. Originally, the graves were in denominational plots throughout the cemetery, war graves and civilian graves indiscriminately mingled. In 1954, the church authorities decided that it would be necessary to clear certain plots and the outlying war graves were moved by the Commission into the area with the largest number of war burials. This now forms a separate service section containing the graves of both world wars. Calcutta (Bhowanipore) Cemetery contains 95 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, including one brought in from Fort Chingrikhali Cemetery in 1934. Second World War burials number 617. The Commission also has responsibility for the care of 233 non-war burials in the cemetery.