R.E. FARM CEMETERY
|Total identified casualties||168 Find these records|
|Casualties from||First World War|
R.E. Farm Cemetery is located 9.5 Kms south of Ieper town centre, on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg, (N365). On reaching the village of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto Mesenstraat, towards Wulvergem. On reaching the village of Wulvergem the first right hand turning at the church leads onto Wulvergemstraat. 500 metres along this road lies the junction with Vrooilandstraat. The cemetery itself lies 500 metres beyond this junction on the left hand side of the Wulvergemstraat.
Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200.
Wytschaete (now Wijtschate) was in Allied hands until 1 November 1914, from June 1917 to April 1918, and from 28 September 1918 onwards. It was the scene of exceptionally severe fighting in November 1914 and April 1918. "R.E. Farm" was the military name given to the Ferme des douze Bonniers. This building remained in Allied hands until April 1918. In December 1914 the 1st Dorsets began a cemetery (No.1) on the east side of the farm, which was used by fighting units and field ambulances until April 1916, and occasionally in 1917. In January 1915, the same battalion began another cemetery (No.2) on the west side of the farm. This cemetery was little used and after the Armistice, the 23 graves it contained were moved into No.1, which was then renamed. R.E. Farm Cemetery contains 179 First World War burials, 11 of them unidentified. The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.