Lieutenant Colonel RICHARD ANNESLEY WEST
North Irish Horse
Died 02 September 1918
Age 40 years old
III. G. 4.
- Secondary Unit, Regiment Cdg. 6th Bn. Tank Corps
- Country of Service United Kingdom
- Awards Victoria Cross, Distinguished Service Order and Bar, Military Cross, Twice Mentioned in Despatches
- Additional Info Served in the South African War. Son of Augustus E. and Sarah West, of Whitepark, Co. Fermanagh; husband of Maude E. West, of 14, Trafalgar Square, Chelsea, London.
- Personal Inscription GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
- Additional Citation note
An extract from the Second Supplement to "The London Gazette", No. 30982, dated 29th Oct., 1918, records the following:-"For most conspicuous bravery, leadership and self-sacrifice. During an attack, the infantry having lost their bearings in the dense fog, this officer at once collected and re-organised any men he could find and led them to their objective in face of heavy machine-gun fire. Throughout the whole action he displayed the most utter disregard of danger, and the capture of the objective was in a great part due to his initiative and gallantry."