The memorial was designed by Philip Hepworth, the Commission’s Principal Architect for France after the Second World War.

Dunkirk Memorial 

The memorial takes the form of an avenue of pylons on which the names are engraved, leading to a building of brick and stone with a coper roof. At the entrance to the avenue are two columns, surmounted by carved stone urns bearing inscriptions in English and French.

A shrine contains the memorial register of names. At the back of the shrine facing the entrance is a great window of etched and engraved glass. Designed by John Hutton, it depicts scenes from the evacuation. The artist and glass engraver was born in New Zealand in 1906.

Horticulture at the memorial includes a holly hedge and English herbaceous and flowering border plants such as stocks, thymes, primroses, phlox, heathers, and violas.

Architects and Designers

Philip Hepworth, John Hutton

Philip Hepworth

The British architect was born in 1890. He was appointed the Principal Architect for North West Europe by the Imperial War Graves Commission during the Second World War. His works are found in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany including Bayeux Memorial (1955) and Dunkirk Memorial (1957).