HISTORY

The SANLC came to France early in 1917 and No.1 General Labour Hospital was established at its camp at Arques-la-Bataille near Dieppe.

 

Most of the burials in the cemetery are of men of the SANLC, many of whom died at the hospital.

A memorial to all members of the SANLC who died in France can be found in the centre of the cemetery composed of a Great War Stone with a concave bronze medallion. Inscribed on the stone, in English, Sesuto and Isixosa, are the words:

"To the memory of those Natives of the South African Labour Corps who crossed the seas in response to the call of their great Chief, King George V, and laid down their lives in France, for the British Empire, during the Great War 1914-1918, this Memorial is erected by their comrades."

In addition, 116 graves were added in 1953 from Division 5 of Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre.

There are now 381 burials of the First World War in the cemetery.