Design

Both Arras Memorial and the Flying Services Memorial were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. The distinguished British architect designed many of the cemeteries and memorials of the First World War for the Commission. Sculpture by Sir William Reid Dick is also featured.

 

Sir Edwin’s initial design plans for the memorial in 1923 did not include a cloister. A cloister was not considered at this stage as it was thought there would not be enough names to fill the wall space available. His plans were revised and a cloister was proposed in 1927.

The memorial was constructed between 1929 and 1932. It is built in Euville limestone, the back wall bears the names of the missing in Portland stone panels. The Cross of Sacrifice is to the east and the Stone of Remembrance is across the opening of the main courtyard facing the cemetery.

 

From 1923, discussions took place on how the Flying Services Memorial could be incorporated into the design. Its location at the centre of the main courtyard of the memorial was decided. This memorial is a free standing pylon some five meters high, supported by a winged globe. The globe was carefully situated with poles pointing north and south. Its four faces bear the names of the missing.

Sir William Reid Dick was selected to carve the special features of the memorial in 1928. The Scottish sculptor had a distinguished career in the military, serving with the Royal Engineers in France and Palestine from 1915 to 1919.

Architects and Designers

Edwin Lutynes

Sir Edwin Lutyens

The distinguished British architect was born in 1869. He was commissioned by the Imperial War Graves Commission to design many of the cemeteries and memorials of the First World War. Many consider his work for the Commission his greatest. It was Lutyens, along with Sir Reginald Blomfield and Sir Herbert Baker, who first went to visit the temporary burial places in Northern France and Belgium to decide how to proceed with the design of the cemeteries.