CROONAERT CHAPEL CEMETERY
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 69 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.8, Longitude: 2.87298
Croonaert Chapel Cemetery is located 6 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, between the villages of Voormezele and Wijtschate. From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort), and straight on towards Armentieres (N365). 900 metres after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg, (made prominent by a railway level crossing). Follow the Kemmelseweg to the crossroads next to the Goudezone factory. Turn left into Vierstraat and follow this road and then take the first turning left. The cemetery is along here on the left.
Visitors to this site should note a 200 metre grassed access path which is unsuitable for vehicles. Wheelchair access to the cemetery is possible via the main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on 01628 507200.
Croonaert Chapel was a shrine in a hamlet on the Wytschaete-Voormezeele road, and was in No Man's Land before the Battle of Messines 1917. The cemetery was begun by the 19th Division Burial Officer in June 1917, and used until the following November. Two further burials were made in April 1918 and January 1919. Croonaert Chapel Cemetery contains 75 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, seven of which are unidentified. 51 German graves of June 1917 were removed after the Armistice. The cemetery was designed by W C Von Berg.