CAIRO NEW BRITISH PROTESTANT CEMETERY
- Country Egypt
- Total identified casualties 28 Find these casualties
- Casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 30.01448, Longitude: 31.23077
This cemetery is within the Old Cairo cemetery area, which is approximately 5 kilometres south east of the centre of Cairo. The cemetery area is on the south side of the Salah Salem road, which runs west/east from the River Nile towards the green park area approximately 2 kilometres beyond and, eventually, towards the Citadel. The cemetery is surrounded by a high wall and the double entrance gates are along Sharia Abu Safein. This road is parallel with the railway line which runs south from Cairo main station and both railway and Sharia Abu Safein cross over the main road. Access up to Sharia Abu Safein is by using the northside ramp above the main road underpass, on the east side of the railway.
Saturday to Thursday: 7.00am to 1.30pm
Please note that the cemetery gates are kept closed, although unlocked, during working hours.
Visitors can best reach the cemetery by private car or taxi.
Visitors are best advised to contact the Commission's Regional office in advance of their visit, who will advise the Head Gardener of the arrival.
Tel: +202 2290 1247 or +202 2419 5561. Please note the office closes at 12.30 GMT.
For further information and enquiries please contact email@example.com
At the outbreak of the First World War, Cairo was headquarters to the United Kingdom garrison in Egypt. With Alexandria, it became the main hospital centre for Gallipoli in 1915 and later dealt with the sick and wounded from operations in Egypt and Palestine. Cairo was again a significant hospital centre during the Second World War.
Plot N of the New British Protestant Cemetery was used for military burials when the adjoining War Memorial Cemetery was closed at the end of March 1920.
This civil cemetery now contains 11 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 15 from the Second World War. The Commission also cares for 2,462 non war graves in the cemetery.