- Country Zimbabwe
- Total identified casualties 66 Find these casualties
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: -17.85038, Longitude: 31.03735
The original Harare Park Memorial was constructed in the 1920s as a general memorial to the missing. It did not carry the names of the casualties it commemorated on its panels. Instead, they were included in the printed memorial register. In 1997 the names were added to this new memorial.
You can find more information about historical inequalities in commemoration in our Special Committee’s report.
The Harare Memorial is located within the African plot of Harare (Pioneer) Cemetery. From Unity Square (town centre) proceed 200 metres on 2nd Street and turn right into Jason Moyo Avenue. Proceed for 2 kilometres keeping to the right, and turn left at the lights into Rotten Row. Proceed for a further 2 kilometres, passing over a large flyover. At the crossroads turn right and the entrance to the Cemetery will be found 200 metres further along on the right.
Harare (Pioneer) Cemetery is open between 06:00 to 18:00.
(References to place names and military units are those in use at the time of the First World War) During the War, and for some years later, the whole of Rhodesia was administered by the British South Africa (the "Chartered") Company. Its armed forces in August 1914, were the British South Africa Police (in Southern Rhodesia) and the Northern Rhodesia Police. The South-West corner of North-Western Rhodesia touched the "Caprivi Strip" of German South-West Africa; the North-East boundary of North-Eastern Rhodesia, from Lake Tanganyika to Lake Nyasa, was open to German East Africa. On the 21st September 1914, Northern Rhodesia Police occupied the Caprivi Strip and garrisoned the line of the Zambesi; but danger from the West was removed in July 1915, by the surrender of the last German forces in South-West Africa. The operations on the North-Eastern frontier were more serious. Until May 1916, they were necessarily mainly defensive. The Rhodesia Regiment, the Rhodesia Native Regiment and the Northern Rhodesia Rifles, all fresh formations, were raised, and the existing units strengthened; but the contingents sent to South-West Africa and to British East Africa, and the forces which held the frontier, used the full man-power of Rhodesia. With Belgian help, Abercorn was defended against German attacks on the 5th and 9th September 1914, Fife on the 6th and 27th December, and Saisi on the 28th-29th June, and the 26th July-2nd August 1915. In the period December 1915-February 1916, two motor-boats, brought overland to Lake Tanganyika, destroyed the German flotilla on the lake. But in May 1916, the increasing success of the main attack from British East Africa enabled the Nyasaland and Rhodesian forces to advance into German territory; the threat to Rhodesia was removed, and the story of the Rhodesian forces merges with that of the conquest of German East Africa. It was not till September 1918, that German troops, driven into Portuguese East Africa and out again, recrossed the Rhodesian border; and General von Lettow-Vorbeck surrendered, close to Abercorn, on the 25th November 1918.
Officers and men of Rhodesian units who fell in the Great War and whose graves are not known, and of the Northern Rhodesian native carriers who fell in the Great War and whose names and graves are alike unknown, are commemorated on the Abercorn, Livingstone Camp and Harare Memorials. The Harare Memorial commemorates by name 38 men of the British South Africa Police and 28 of the Rhodesia Native Regiment who fell in the First World War. These men were previously commemorated by the nearby Harare Park Memorial, an obelisk erected to the honour of South Rhodesian soldiers by their government.