Madras 1914-1918 War Memorial, Chennai
- Country India
- Total identified casualties 70 Find these casualties
- Identified casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 13.01452, Longitude: 80.19465
Madras War Cemetery is about 5 kilometres from the airport and 14 kilometres from the central railway station. The MADRAS 1914-1918 MEMORIAL is situated at the rear of the cemetery. The GST Road (Great Southern Trunk Road) leads from the airport past Trident Hotel to Kathipara roundabout. The way is via Mount Poonamall Road, passing at the foot of St. Thomas Mount. The cemetery can easily be located on the right hand side of the road 1 kilometre from St. Thomas Mount. From Madras Central Railway Station the route is up Mount Road (Anna Salai) and over the bridge which crosses the River Cooun. The route passes St. Mary's Cemetery on Pallawan Road and is via LIC building (Life Insurance Corporation Building) situated on Mount Road, which leads to Anna Flyover and to Kathipara Junction.
The memorial stands in Madras War Cemetery. The cemetery is open daily, including Sundays (excluding public holidays) between 08:00am and 18:00pm.
Outside of these times, access can be gained via two other gates which are always open as they lead to the resident manager's living quarters within the cemetery.
The MADRAS 1914-1918 MEMORIAL was built to commemorate more than 1000 servicemen and women who died in India during the First World War, who were buried in civil and cantonment cemeteries in India* whose graves were considered to be unmaintainable after India gained its independence in 1947. For several years now, the Commission has been working to reinstate the original graves of a large number of these individuals and to date, the official commemoration of over 900 individuals have been reverted back to their original burial location. However, their names will remain on the MADRAS 1914-1918 MEMORIAL for the foreseeable future.
The memorial stands in MADRAS WAR CEMETERY which was created to receive Second World War graves from many civil and cantonment cemeteries in the south and east of India where their permanent maintenance could not be assured.
The cemetery contains 856 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.
Allahabad New Cantonment;
Arogyavaram Pothapole Union Mission Sanitorium;
Bangalore Cantoment (Kulpully);
Bangalore (Hosur Road);
Barkacha Military Grave;
Bolarum Cavalry Barracks, Secunderbad;
Calcutta (Lower Circular Road);
Calicut New Beach;
Cawnpore Cantonment New;
Dinapore No 3;
Dum Dum New;
Fatehgarh Cantonment Open;
Kala Khan, Naini Tal;
Kataphar New, Jalapahar;
Kotwa Military Grave;
Kydganj New, Allahabad;
Lucknow Cantonment Military;
Madras (St Andrew's);
Madras (St George's) Cathedral;
Madras (St Patrick's);
Malappuram (Christ Church);
Narayan Guda Hyderbad Government;
Ootacamund (St Thomas);
St Thomas's Mount Church;
Secunderbad European R.C.;