BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY NO.3
- Country Belgium
- Total identified casualties 3 Find these casualties
- Region West-Vlaanderen
- Casualties from First World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.85218, Longitude: 2.78782
Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No 3 is located 6.5 km west of Ieper town centre, on the Zevekotestraat, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. 6 km along the N308, after passing the village of Vlamertinge and just beyond the church in the hamlet of Brandhoek lies the left hand turning onto the Grote Branderstraat. After crossing the N38 Westhoekweg, the first right hand turning leads onto the Zevekotestraat. The cemetery is located 300 metres along the Zevekotestraat on the left hand side of the road, beyond the N38 dual carriageway, which it is necessary to cross.
The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access impossible. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone 01628 507200.
During the First World War, Brandhoek was within the area comparatively safe from shell fire which extended beyond Vlamertinghe Church. Field ambulances were posted there continuously.
Until July 1917 burials had been made in the Military Cemetery, but the arrival of the 32nd, 3rd Australian and 44th Casualty Clearing Stations, in preparation for the new Allied offensive launched that month, made it necessary to open the New Military Cemetery. The New Military Cemetery No 3 opened in August and continued in use until May 1918.
Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No 3 contains 975 First World War burials.
The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.