CARLISLE (DALSTON ROAD) CEMETERY
- Country United Kingdom
- Total identified casualties 278 Find these casualties
- Region Cumberland
- Casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 54.88068, Longitude: -2.95469
The cemetery (officially Carlisle Cemetery) lies on the south-western side of the city on the road to Caldbeck at the corner of Dalston Road and Richardson Road. It covers more than 60 acres of ground and belongs to the City Corporation. The main entrance is in Richardson Road on the northern side, from which an avenue leads, over a bridge across Fairy Brook, to the War Graves Plots of both World Wars situated in the southern portion.
A Visitor Information Panel has recently been installed at Carlisle (Dalston Road) Cemetery to provide information about the war casualties buried here. This is one of many panels being erected to help raise awareness of First and Second World War graves in the UK (Feb 2014).
The Fusehill War Hospital, with 650 beds, was established in the Poor Law Hospital and two schools at Carlisle. Of the 134 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 War, 79 are in a plot on the eastern side of Ward XI and the remainder scattered in other parts of the cemetery. There are 128 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 War, of these, around half of which are situated in the War Graves Plot, which adjoins the 1914-1918 War Plot, some being on the southern side of Ward XI, Section P, and the rest opposite to them on the northern side of Ward XVI, Section O. Another group in the Roman Catholic section contains 14 burials in Ward XIII, Section P. The remainder of the 1939-1945 War burials are dispersed in various parts of the cemetery. Many of the airmen buried here belonged to the Royal Air Force Operational Training Unit at Crosby-on-Eden. The Cross of Sacrifice stands near the junction of the 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 War Plots, thus serving as a central memorial for the graves of both wars. This Service Plot is shaded by an avenue of beech trees and sycamores, and is divided into two sections at the far corner by the main pathway.