PLYMOUTH (FORD PARK) CEMETERY
- Country United Kingdom
- Total identified casualties 972 Find these casualties
- Region Devon
- Casualties from First & Second World War
- GPS Coordinates Latitude: 50.38129, Longitude: -4.14456
Visitors to this site are advised to stay on the paths as there are a number of isolated headstones in disrepair which could pose a risk. However once within the war graves plot, this is considered a low risk area.
The cemetery is owned and managed by the Ford Park Cemetery Trust. They open it from 0900 to 1800 during the summer months and from 0900 to 1530 during the winter months.
During the First World War, Plymouth, Devonport and Stonehouse contained between them the Royal Dockyard, Royal Naval Barracks (known as H.M.S. Vivid), the Royal Marine Barracks of the Plymouth Division, and naval and military hospitals. For the duration of the war, Devonport was made headquarters of the Auxiliary Patrol Area.
Plymouth was a naval station second only to Portsmouth during the Second World War. Devonport was also an important military station and there was a R.A.F station at Mount Batten, opposite Plymouth.
Ford Park Cemetery (formerly known as Pennycomequick or Plymouth Old Cemetery) contains 771 burials of the First World War, more than 200 of them in a naval plot, the rest scattered throughout the cemetery. All of the 198 Second World War burials are scattered, 1 of which is an unidentified airman of the Royal Air Force. In addition, the Commission maintains 1098 non war service burials (on behalf of the MOD) and 3 French and 2 Russian graves here.